How Kings Park became a public park

Kings Park is a royal park that became a public one. It did not happen at a stroke: it took most of the 19th century of argument about who the park was for, a lease in 1898, and a run of bye-laws after it. This is that story — the background to every trail in the park.

Kings Park was, and remains, a very popular place. For a very long time the inhabitants of Stirling appear to have had the right to roam over the park. During the 19th century, tensions arose between the burgh's desire to encourage local tourism and the tenant farmers' wish to restrict public access and impose a charge for use of the park by parties coming on day excursions from other towns, on land where livestock were grazing. Concern grew that tourists might be deterred from visiting Stirling if no Public Park was available.

Improved transport links between Stirling and other areas in Central Scotland, plus an increase in leisure time, led to a flourish in tourism and day trips by steamer and rail. Mackay's 19th-century Penny Guides to Stirling praised the history, landscape and sporting amusements that the Kings Park had to offer, including golf, cricket and football. Stirling Council actively promoted sports and recreational activities in Kings Park for the enjoyment of locals and visitors alike. On 24th June 1905, the Stirling Observer reported that a large party of over 500 people from Bellshill Parish Church, accompanied by a pipe band, visited Kings Park for their annual outing. The group picnicked in the park and enjoyed a programme of sports and games.

In February 1898, Stirling Council agreed to lease part of the Kings Park as a Public Park to "conserve the rights and privileges of the public." The need to introduce bylaws regulating the playing of various sports and games was discussed. People wishing to play golf on the "public" area of the Kings Park course, but who were not members of either Golf Club, were requested to try to "conform to club rules while playing the game".

Regulations governing the employment of golf cadies were later introduced under council Bye-Laws in 1910. Cadies required a licence and badge from the Town Council and could charge sixpence a round for their services.

In December 1922, Stirling Council arranged to lease 23.5 acres of Kings Park from the Crown Estates for a rent of £20 per year. This lease included an extension to the putting course and formation of tennis courts.

In August 2013 ownership of this ancient Royal park passed from the Crown Estate, via the Scottish Government, to Historic Scotland — now Historic Environment Scotland. Stirling Council holds overall management under a 150-year lease, with a long sub-lease of the golf course section to Stirling Golf Club, and the Council manages the public park area. The park covers around 453 acres of golf course, public open space and a few agricultural tenancies.